Skip to main content

Full text of "The Methodist Protestant Church in North Carolina"

See other formats


THE 

METHODIST 

PROTESTANT; 

CHURCH IN 

NORTH 

CAROLINA. 

Kennett 



METHOD I ST 

CENTER 

BY1683 

N864 

K36m 



Digitized by the Internet Archive 
in 2013 



http://archive.org/details/methodistprotestOOpaul 



^ 5 s i on on AR.C-HI ve s 

m 



Presented by 






The Methodist Protestant Church in North Carolina, 



Background and Origin. 

During the late autumn or early winter of 1784 
Messrs Coke, Whatcoat, and Vasey arrived in the United 
States from England and held a consultation with Mr. 
Asbury. A conference was then called which met in Bal- 
imore on Christmas day. As the notice was short, the 
season adverse, and the preachers widely scattered only 
about sixty were present and these were mostly young 
men. Mr. Asbury reports that: "Ii ™as unanimously 
agreeded at this conference that circumstances made it 
expedient for us to become a separate body under the 
denomination of the Methodist Episcopal Church." The 
laity were not consulted in this matter and an exclu- 
sively clerical government was set up. It was long cus- 
tomary to hold conferences in that church with closed 
doors not even a local preacher being admitted and 
Bassett assumes that such was the case on this occasion. 
This same meeting ordained Francis Asbury first as dea- 
con, then as elder, and then as superintendent, and he 
and Doctor Coke became joint superintendents. They later 

called themselves bishops. Thus was Episcopal Methodism 

1 
set up in America. 

Somewhat earlier than this (1781) Asbury had 

had a disagreement with James 0' Kelly as to strict 



1. Bassett, A.H., History of the Methodist Protestant 

Church, Pages 27-29. 






K 31 



■^SfS 



2. 



enforcement of the discipline and "0 1 Kelly returned 

1 
home an unreconciled dissenter". He was a Methodist 

itinerant as early as 1777 and served as presiding 

2 
elder in Virginia for eight years. At a conference 

held in Baltimore 1792 he introduced the following: 
"Resolved, that after the bishop appoints the preachers 
at conference to their several circuits, if anyone think 
himself injured by the appointment, he shall have 
liberty to appeal to the conference, and state his 
objections, and if the conference approve his objec- 
tions the bishop shall appoint him to another circuit" . 

The resolution failed and Kr. C Kelly and several 

3 
others withdrew. Two years later they formed the Re- 

4 
publican Methodist Church. This body united in 1806 

with two other independent eroups and the denomina- 

5 
tion is today called Christian. 

At the General Conference of the Methodist 

Episcopal Church held in 1800 there were those who 

contended that presiding elders should be elected 

by the annual conferences rather than appointed by 

the bishops and there were others who desired lay 

6 
representation in the various conferences. In 1820 



1. Drinkhouse, E. J., History of Methodist Reform and 

the Methodist Protestant Church, 
Vol. I page 232. 

2. Bassett Page 367. 

3. Ibid Page 32. 

4. Ibid Page 369. 

5. Small, C.H., Comer Stones of Faith Page 367. 

6. Bassett, Page 33. 



a motion prevailed that the bishops might nominate 

three times the number of presiding elders to be 

chosen and the conferences elect from this list. The 

bishops protested and while the General Conference 

refused to reconsider its action it did suspend its 

operation for four years, and in 1824 the resolution was 

1 
further suspended. 

Another problem before the General Confer- 
ence in 1820 was that of the relation of local 
preachers. Many young men in that period felt the urge 
to the ministry and its ranks were crowded. Yet the 
salaries were extremely small. These two facts led 
most men when they reached thirty or forty years of 
age to marry and locate leaving the itenerancy to single 
men. The Virginia conference in 1809 is cited 
as having eighty-four preachers only three of whom 

were married, and this is said to have been no ex- 

2 
ception. Many of these men who had become local preach- 
ers were yet in vigorous health, had once been pre- 
siding elders, and were slow to accept the authority 
of a youthful minister. In 1820 there were three times 
as many local preachers as itinerants. At that time 
they petitioned for representation in the General Con- 
ference. The petition was denied but a district con- 
ference was created to be composed of local preachers 
and to have all powers formerly vested in the quarterly 



1. Drinkhouse, Vol. II. Pages 5-12. 

2. Ibid, Vol. I. Page 199. 



u 

conference as to the supervision of this class. This, 

1 
however, did not satisfy them. Lay representation and 

the rights of local preachers were then the issues of 
the day. 

The controversy now broke into print. In 1821 
Mil. S. Stockton commenced the publication of a periodi- 
cal in magazine form called the Wesleyan Repository. 

It was printed first at Trenton and later at Philadel- 

2 
phia and continued for three years. Stockton was a lay- 
man but his son Thomas H. Stockton became no doubt the 
most eloquent preacher the Methodist Protestant church 
ever produced. He was for years Chaplain of the United 
States House of Representatives and led the prayer at 
the dedication of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg,, 
There is a tradition in the church that Lincoln was 
so much impressed by this part of the service that he 

"subsequently admitted having experienced from that hour 

3 
a religious change". 

The Methodist Magazine refused to publish 

4 
articles by the champions of lay representation and 

the Wesleyan repository carried many of these tho its 

5 
columns were open to opponents as well. Among these 

articles were a series of letters from the pen of 

Nicholas Snethen from which the following quotation 

is taken: "But if they remain inflexible, that we 

1. Drinkhouse, Vol. II. Pages 17-18. 

2. Bassett, Page 37. 

3. Ibid Page 421. 

4. Drinkhouse Vol II., Page 39. 

5. Bassett, Page 38. 



5 
then proceed to organize ourselves into a kind of 
patriotic societies, for the purpose of obtaining, 
and securing to ourselves, the right of ecclesiasti- 
cal suffrage, and acquiring a knowledge of our numbers, 
views, and proceedings, and that so soon as we are become 
sufficiently numerous and united, we signify to the 
Travelling Preachers our free, sovereign will, and let 
them know that the time is come for them to yield to 
necessity, as they would not to justice and reason: 
we may add that if they persist, all the blame and all 

the evil of dividing themselves from a majority of 

1 
the church must be upon their own heads 1 .' This is of 

special importance as out of it grew the union socie- 
ties to which attention will presently be given. 

Snethen was a native of Long Island and entered 
the Methodist itenerancy in 1794. For four or five years 
he traveled in New England. Later he was stationed 
for four years in Baltimore and for two years in New 
York City. For several years he was appointed to 
travel with Bishop Asbury and presided at some confer- 
ences in his stead. About 1809 while stationed at 
Georgetown he served as Chaplain of the United States 
House of Representatives. In 1800 he acted as secretary 
of the General Conference and was several times a mem- 
ber of that body. He declared, however, in 1812 that he 
would never again appear in a General Conference to 
legislate for the church unless sent by a vote of the 
governed, both laity and preachers. Later he withdrew 
from the Methodist Episcopal church and became a mem- 

1. DrinHiouse, Vol. I. Page 35. 



ber of the Maryland conference of the Associated Meth- 
odist Church (afterward Methodist Protestant church) 

1 
and its first President. 

Returning to the chain of events which form 
the background of the Methodist Protestant church we 
find a memorial presented to the General Conference of 
the Methodist Episcopal church in 1824 asking that a 
representative from the laity be admitted into the 
annual conferences or at least into the General Con- 
ference the memorialists suggesting that such a plan 

would accord to the laity their just rights and pri- 

2 
vileges. To which the conference replied in part; 

"pardon us, if we know no such rights, if we compre- 

3 
hend no such privileges. A meeting was held May 21, 

1824 by a company of reformers and the following reso- 
lution adopted: "To institute a periodical publication, 
entitled The Mutual Rights of the Ministers and Members 
of the Methodist Episcopal Church, to be conducted by a 
committee of ministers and laymen; to raise societies in 
all parts of the United States, whose duty it shall be 
to disseminate the principles of a well-balanced govern- 
ment, and to correspond with one another; to appoint a 
committee of their own body to draft a circular addressed 

to the ministers and members of the Methodist Episcopal church, 

U 
and to forward the same to all parts of the United States". 



1. Bassett, Pages 401-407. 

2. Ibid, Page 41. 

3. Davis, Lyman E., Democratic Methodism in America, 

Page 34. 

4. Drinkhouse, Vol. II, Page 63° 



7 

In August 1824 the first number of the Mutual 

Rights appeared under the direction of a committee of 

which Samuel Jennings was chairman. Some secrecy was 

exercised in its circulation for readers were under 

1 
suspencion. In this connection Rev. George Brown, 

presiding elder on Monongahela says: "When the Mutual 
Rights appeared, I ordered it to be sent to nearly all 
the leading men of my district and paid for it in ad- 
vance out of my scanty funds. So that paper was read in 
all parts of the district, privately; for a time not 

even the preachers were allowed to know anything about 

2 
it, nor did anyone suspect my agency in the matter." 

A young minister, Dennis B. Dorsey, was charged 
by the Baltimore conference, April 1827, with having circulated 
an improper periodical work and was left without an 
appointment for a year at the end of which time he was 
recorded as expelled. At the same session Wm. C. Pool 
was expelled on charges of circulation of the Mutual Rights 
and participation in a Union Society meeting. During 
September 1827 eleven local preachers and twenty-two 
laymen were expelled in Baltimore for their adherence to 
reform. Appeals were taken to the General Conference of 
1828 which replied that they and any others might be- re- 
stored upon the Union Societies being abolished and the 
Mutual Rights discontinued. Similar societies had been 

formed in several other states and similar expulsions 

3 
had taken place. 



1. Drinkhouse, Vol. II, Pages 70-77. 

2 Brown, George, Recollections of Itinerant life, Page 12$, 

3. Bassett, Pages 4V - 54 



; 



8 

^n November 1828 there assembled in the city of 
Baltimore a General Convention of Methodist Reformers 
who adopted a preamble and seventeen Article s of Asso- 
ciation for the government of the Associated Methodist 

1 
Churches. In 1830 the church took the name Methodist 

2 
Protestants and the paper later adopted the same name 

and is still published in Baltimore now under the title, 
The Methodist Protestant Recorder. 

Beginnings in North Carolina. 
It is now time to direct attention particularly 
to North Carolina. It will be remembered that the Gen- 
eral Conference of the Methodist Episcopal church in 

1820 granted to local preachers permission to meet 
annually in District Conferences over which the presi- 
ding elder acted as chairman. But it also proceeded 
to enact some special rules for the government of the 
local ministry. One of these was the so-called "spirit- 
making rule" which forbade local preachers to distill 
spirituous liquors. Such a practice had not up till this 
time been considered wrong in this state and had been 
rather freely engaged in by highly respected people. 

The local preachers of North Carolina, however, declared 
that their objection was not because their interests 
were affected, but because of the principle involved, 
namely, "legislation without representation." The local 
preachers of the Roanoke District of North Carolina in 

1821 drew up an address to the Virginia Annual Confer- 

1. Bassett, Pages 61-73. 

2. Ibid, Pages 123-124. 



9 
ence of which they were manbers. In this document 
which is printed in full by Paris the opinion of the 
conference is asked as to the validity of this rule. 
Two rather pertinent questions are asked: "Why should 
the local preachers alone be considered incapable of 
self-government? Does a man become a political idiot 
by becoming a local preacher among the Methodists?" 
Upon the address being read to the annual conference 
one member moved that it be thrown under the table 
but his motion did not prevail. A long circular was 
also addressed by the Roanoke District meeting to the 
several district conferences of the Methodist Episcopal 
church setting forth the entire contention; and a mem- 
orial was sent to the General Conference of 1824. It is 
in this message that we find the statement; "We beg, 
or rather claim, as a matter of right the removal frcm 
our Discipline of the rule or law prohibiting local 
preachers from distilling spirituous liquors, not be- 
cause the rule affects our interest, but, first because 
we never subscribed to such a rule; secondly, we have 
not made it valid by any subsequent admission or agree- 
ment; and thirdly, it involves a principle which as 
men, Americans, and christians, we cannot, we will not 
admit, namely that any power has any implied, expressed 

or equitable right to make laws for our government with- 

1 
out our consent or representation". 



1. Paris, John, History of the Methodist Protestant 
Church, Pages 16-37. 



. 






10. 



A few days after the close of this General Conference 
as before stated the Baltimore Union Society was organ- 
ized by a group of reformers. It sent a circular letter 
to the ministers and members of the Methodist Episco- 
pal church and adopted a constitution. The following 
November a number of local ministers and laymen came to- 
gether at Sampson's Meeting-house, Roanoke circuit, 
Halifax county, North Carolina and formed the Roanoke 
Union Society. At that time seven preachers and four 
laymen became manbers. A few weeks later a second meet- 
ing was held at which eleven new members were received, 
a constitution adopted, and officers elected. Eli B. 
Whitaker became president and William E. Bellamy secre- 
tary. A committee of correspondence was also appointed. 

It will be seen, therefore, that so far as names 
are concerned the resemblance to the American colonial 
struggle is complete. There were Union Societies, con 
tending against legislation without representation, and 
making use of committees of correspondence. 

Unfortunately the records of the Union Societies 
are not available. The North Carolina annual conference 
of 1830 ordered them to "be handed over to John F. Bellamy 
to be recorded in a book" , and in 1831 the book was 

inspected and left in his keeping, the originals being 

3 
placed in charge of Wilson C. Vvhitaker. It is 

1. Paris, Pages 44-61 

2. Manuscript Journal of the North Carolina Conference 
Methodist Protestant Church 1828-1892, 5 vols. Vol. I, P. 22, 

3. Ibid . , P. 26. 



11. 



supposed that these records were destroyed by 
the burning of the home of ri r. Wilson C. Whitaker, Jr. 
Doctor ^aris evidently had access to them, however, for 
his history is so filled with complete quotations as to be 
little less or indeed little more than a source book. 

The first trial in North Carolina was that of Rev. 
W. W. Hill. He had been a pr ominent itinerant for 
years in the Methodist church but had became located 
on Matamuskeet circuit. He joined the Roanoke Union 
Society in April 1825 and in less than six months was 
summoned for trial by the pastor of his circuit and acquited 

of the charges. J-he entire controversy as printed by Paris 

1 
covers some twenty pages. 

Another cause of dispute was slavery. The 
Methodist Discipline as revised by the General Confer- 
ence of 1824 went on record against this evil as follows: 

Section IX Of Slavery. 
Question - What shall be done for the extripation of the 
evil of slavery? 

Ans. 1. We declare that we are as much as ever convin- 
ced of the great evil of slavery. Therfore, no slave= 
holder shall be eligible to any official station in 
our church hereafter where the laws of the State in 
which he lives will admit of emancipation, and permit 
the liberated slave to enjoy freedom. 

fins. 2. When any traveling preacher becomes the owner 
of a slave or slaves by any means, he shall forfeit 
his ministerial character in our church, unless he 

1. Paris, Pp. 67-85. 



12. 



execute, if it be practicable, a legal emancipation of 
such slaves, conformably to the laws of the State in 
which he lives. 

Other sections follow but these are the most 
pronounced. To all of these the Roanoke Union Society 
returned a strong protest. 

Some time in the early part of the 1826 
the organization of the Granville Union Society took 
place. It objects were the same as those of the Roanoke 
group and its constitution was similar. The pastor in 
charge (Rev. B. Field) sent a letter to the members of 
Plank Chapel church who had joined the society warning them 
that unless they would "yield to reproof" he 
would call them to account before the church. They were 

shortly afterward cited for trial, and expelled on the 

charge of sowing dissention in the church. 

The Rev. William Compton had taken an active part 
in the trial and expulsion of these members and when in 
1828 the Virginia Annual Conference assigned him to 
Roanoke Circuit it was naturally felt that like action 
would ensue there. The Roanoke Union Society, therefore, 
adopted a series of resolutions declaring among other 
things, "that before we can receive as a messenger of peace 
the said William Compton, we must be assured that he 
will endeavor to repair the wrong he has committed, by 

using his best efforts to restore to the Methodist 

1. Paris Pp. 87-90. 

2. Ibid ., Pp. 91-97. 



13. 



Episcopal Church the said Lewellyn Jones and others 
that were expelled for the same -cause." 

Mr. William Compton, of course, served the charge and 
a number of letters and resolutions were exchanged end- 
ing in seven local ministers being cited for trial at 
Shady Grove meeting-jjo use on October 4? 1828. The place 
of meeting was some forty miles distant from the homes of 
most of them and not one of them attended. They were all 
expelled on the charge of : " Endeavoring to sow 
dissension by inveighing against the discipline 
of the Methodist Episcopal Church." 

Two local ministers, Caswell Drake and Richard 
Davison who held their membership at Warrenton were 
not included in this trial. A few days afterward, how- 
ever, Rev. Mr. Compton went to Warrenton, demanded the 
"class-paper", or list of members, and made a new list 
containing the names of all the members of the church 
except these two but leaving them off the list. 

The first session of the North Carolina Conference 
will be considered presently. Just now a few other 
evsnts which occurred after its meeting will be given 
notice. The reform movement had developed in the east- 
ern part of the state but in central Carolina there was 
much interest in it. At Moriah church in Guilford county 
the pastor in April 1829 asked one of his members, Col. 
Wm. Gilbreath if he read the "Mutual Rights" and on recieving 
an affirmative reply told hirnj "I will give you 

1 . Paris Pp. 183-220. 



14. 



four weeks to consider quitting the 'Mutual Rights' 
and if you do not discontinue it I will have you ex- 
pelled from the church." The Colonel retorted: "You 
need not give me five minutes". When the pastor re- 
turned four weeks later he found that thirty-four mem- 
bers had withdrawn and set up a ^ethodist Protestant 
organization leaving him two parishioners. Bethel church 
in the same county became 1-1 ethodist ^rotestant because 
of the expulsion of the Rev. Travis Jones on no other 
charge than that he read the "Mutual Rights." A little 
later Rev. Benjamin Edge in conversation with Alexander 
Robbins declared: "We will cut down every man that will 
associate with that people. For who can walk among the 
pots without getting smutted? These schismatics are >a 
bad people". Mr. Robbins and others withdrew and organ- 
ized a new church then called Liberty, now Fairfield 
a few miles from High Point. 

The Early Organization of the North Carolina 
Conference. 

The first annual conference of the "Associated 
Methodists Churches for North Carolina" began on Dec- 
ember 19, 1828, at Whitakers Meeting House in Halifax 
County. Eight ministers were present, namely, James Hunter, 

William Bellamy, Miles ^ash, W. W. Hill, William Price, 

2 

Eli B. Vhitaker, Albriton Jones, Henry Bradford, and Thomas Moore. 



1. Paris Pp. 290-296 
2. Manuscrip Journal, Vol, I. Page 1. 



15. 



The place was historic. Richard Whitaker had 
received a grant of several thousand acres of lard 
and located there between 1740 2nd 1750. Immediately 
after finishing his dwelling he erected a chapel of 
logs, which was later followed by a second and then a 
third building. It was first used by the church of Eng- 
land and then by the Methodist church until 1828. Bishop 
Asbury is said to have preached there on one occasion. 

The notice for this meeting was short and 
the reformers from the Granville section did not arrive. 

The next year they were present and we note the names of 

2 
Caswell Drake and Richard Davison. ' Rev. W. W. Hill 

3 
was elected President in 1828 and served for five years. 

At first there were only three circuits: Roanoke, Green- 
ville, and Albemarle. The next year four appointments 
were made. 

The records for the early conferences are 
very brief and this effort to trace the development 
of organization must necessarily be rather scrappy. 
Two items in connection with t e seating of members 
at t e session of 18^0 deserve attention. The lay mem- 
bers "gave in their certificates", and an effort was 

5 

made "to make lay delegation equal to ministerial". No 

order had been recorded for certificates to be issued 



1. Methodist Protestant Herald, March 15, 1928. 

2. Manuscript Journal N.G. Conference Vol. I. Page 6 

3. Ibid ., Page 37. 

4. Ibid . , Page 6. 

5. Ibid. , Page 13. 



16. 



and no foimer journal stated that they were. Nothing 
has been said heretofore about equal representation. 
That the movement from the iJ "ethodist Episcopal 
Church was still going on in 1830 is shown in the resolution: 
"That Joseph B. Hinton be recieved in the communion 
of the Associated ^ethodist Churches in the same of- 
ficial standing as he held as a minister of the gospel 
at the time he withdrew from the ^ethodist Episcopal 
Church". It is also evident that these reformers had 
no mind to return to autocracy in any form for their 
representatives to the convention at Baltimore are in- 
structed "not to concede any other test of membership 
than the general rules of Mr. Wesley, and to insist 
upon the government being formed upon simple, libefcal 
and scriptural lines. "^ The appointments were made by 
a separate motion for each circuit, but the session of 
1831 is noteworthy for the proportion of work done by 
committees. We find the first stationing committee, the 
first boundary committee, and others on the mode of 
election of members of the next annual conference, and 

on ways and means to raise funds for the support of 

3 
itiner?nt preachers, their wives, widows, and children. 

In 1834 the first obituary is recorded - that of 
Rev. Wm. Price. ri e had served as a revolutionary sol- 
dier and, being captured by the British, was for some 
time a prisoner of war. We are told that he "repelled 

1. Manuscript Journal, Vol. I., P. 16. 

2. Ibid ;, Page 17. 

3. Ibid . , Page 25. 



17. 



with indignation the seducing charms of British gold 
when offered with a view to detach him from the cause 

of liberty and his country." 

By the time the denomination was four years 
old (18320 one of the problems which had occasioned 
its separation from the mother church became accute 
within its own ranks. There were then twenty- four 
ministerial members of the conference but only three 
circuits. Two of these had an assistant pastor or in 

other words, five ministers had official duties and re- 

2 
ceived a salary. The others, however, desired seats 

in conference with voting power just as the local 
preachers before 1828 had demanded. Strange as it may 
seem, however, the constitution of the Methodist Protes- 
tant church said that the annual conference should be 

composed of all ordained itinerant ministers and an 

3 
equeal number of laymen. Various methods were, there- 
fore resorted to for the accommodation of the located 
members. Sometimes they were apportioned to t e charges 
under the term of "extra ministerial aid" , or assigned 
duties in definite churches, or assigned to preach 
"where he may choose"'*. Later a custom developed of 
appointing a mature man as superintendent, sometimes 

without salary on labof, but, to supervise while a 

6 
youmger man did the work and received the salary. Not 



1. Manuscript Journal, Vol I., P. 47 

2. Ibid . r age 36 

3. Ibid. § age 55 

4. Ibid., p a g e 36 

5. Ibid. , p a ge 29 

6. Ibid. , p a ge 224. 



18. 



so different from the old method! 

The session of 1835 gave its assent to the 
establishment of Sunday Schools in accord with the 
request of agents of the Sunday School Union who visit- 
ed the conference for the first time then.^ 

Two other incidents which have little connection 
with the progress of the church but are of interest 
may be mentioned here. It was evidently not good from 
in 1836 for a minister to engaje in politics for we find 
a resolution to the effect that: "Whereas Bro. T. Y. 
Cook has virtually (if not officially) renounced his 
official standing in our church as a minister by becoming 
a candidate for the legislature: therefore, Resolved, 
That Bro. Cook be left without an appointment. "2 The 
session of 1852 was held in the city of Fayetteville. 
Many of the members lived in Piedmong and Western Caro- 
lina and drove their own teams to the conference so it is 
interesting to note a resolution of thanks to the 
officers of the "Fayetteville and Western Flank Road 
Company for their noble generosity in granting permis- 
sion to the meiribe: s of the conference to return home 
upon their road, free of charge".-^ 

Negroes, Slavery and War. 
It was customary in Southern churches to permit 
slaves to hold membership in the same churches with 

I. Manuscript Journal, Vol I. P. 59. 

2. Ibid ., P. 72 

3. Ibid ., Pol. II. P. 18. 



19. 



their masters, a portion of the church being set aside 
for their use. It is evident that this custom was fol- 
lowed among the Methodist rctestants from the first. 
In the second conference held in North Carolina , April 
1829, a resolution was enacted providing that "white 
females should vote in the choice of class leaders". 
At the session of 1845 formal permission was granted "to 
all the churches in this district to receive colored 
members and govern them according to our discipline and 
administer to them the ordinances and permit them to 
elect their class leaders when their numbers wequire it, 
and to vote in recieving, trying, or expulsion of color- 
ed members." In 1855 > a committee was appointed to 

"divise ways and means to have the gospel preached to our 

3 
slaves." This committee <8 ffered three resolutions recom- 

mending: (l) That the matter be brought to the attention 
of slave holders and an effort made to find out what 
missionary work could best be done. (2) That the super- 
intendents hold services for the blacks where practi- 
cable with the consent of the owners. (3) That a. catechism 
be prepared. It may be well to state just here 
that after the civil war at the conference of 1865 a 
resolution was adopted to the effect "that it is expect- 
ed that all our preachers s hall do what they can to pro- 
mote the religious interests of the African race within 

5 
the bounds of our district." 

1. Manuscript Journal, Vol. I. P. 7/ 

2. Ibid., P. 178. 

3. TFTo T .,, Vol. II, P. 92. 

4. Ibid . P. 127 . 

5. Ibid,.' P. 511. 



20. 



The first statistics available are in I8/+8 and are 
very imperfect but in Wilmington station there were 
twenty white members and eighty colored ones. In 1852 
261 negro members are reported and in 1859, 299. 

Mo doubt the most notable negro member of the 
Methodist Protestant church and one of the most re- 
markable slaves in North Carolina was Lige Ogburn. He 
was the personal servant of Rev. ¥m. J, Ogburn, an able 
minister whose home was in Guilford county. Mr. Ogburn 
taught his servant to read and gave him religious in- 
struction and Lige developed into a leader of prayer 
meetings and a personal worker at Flat Rock church and 
Couble Springs camp ground. He was yet in the prime of 
life at the close of the civil war and much of his work 
was done as a free man. He is said to have led dozens 
of white men to Christ, among whom were several future 
ministers. 

It is necessary, however, if one would pre- 
sent a true picture of trie period, to state that section- 
al feeling was rather pronounced more than once. In 1837 
among the instructions given to representatives to the 
General Conference one states; "That if the subject of 
slavery is broached our delegates are instructed to in- 
form that body that the Nort^h Carolina conference does 
not consider that a debatable subject. n - > In February, 1842 

1. Manuscript Journal, Vol. I. P. 222 

2. Ibid . , Vol. II, P. 19. 

3. Ibid . Page 263. 

4. Community traditions. 

5. Journal, Vol. I. P. $2. 



21. 



the instructions similarly given are more general, 
namely, "If the abolition of slavery, or the advocacy 
of temperance socities or Sunday Schools be proposed 
as a test of membership our delegates be instructed to 
oppose it." In 1839> however, we find a statement 
to the effect, "1st. That ife is high time for the South- 
ern conferences to speak in language upon the subject 
which shall not be misunderstood. 2nd. That we do not 

recognize the right of Northern men to dictate to us 
upon the question of slavery or any other so long as we 
have the Bible for our guide in matters of morality. 
3rd. That if the General Conference passes any resolu- 
tion on the subject of slavery implicating the Christian 
character of southern slave holders we feel it our duty 
to withdraw from the connection." This particular topic 
may well be concluded by metion $f resolutions adopted 
in 1850 condemming the work of three VJesleyan ministers who 
were interested in abolition. The language is particu- 
larly strong calling upon Methodist Protestants "not to 
assist or participate in any of their mischievousness and 
wicked and lawless efforts to subvert the order, peace 
and prosperity of the citizens of our state". -> 
?he President of the conference, Dr. C. F. 
Harris, in his report read at the session of Nov, 1861 
made rather extended reference to the existance of w&b.^ 

There is nothing in his remarks or in the recorded ac- 

1L. Journal, Vol. I., P. 127. 

2. Hud., P. 110. 

3. Ibid., P. 290. 

h. Ibid. . Vol. II., Page 356 



22. 



tion of the conference which could be construed as Mil- 
itaristic. In fact he speaks of the war as an act of 
providence and confesses his own sins and those of the 
people. He does not specify the matter of slavery so he 
may mean simply the general nature of humanity. A year 
later the same President delivered a long discourse 
upon the war in which he assigned wickedness as the 
cause. This man was, however, pro union in views. It was 
at t is same session that Rev. J. G. Whitfield of Virgin- 
ia was introduced and spoke "on the state of the country 

and the church, alluding in pathetic terms to the condi- 

2 
tion of his own conference". 

It is not until November of 1863 at the famous 
Fair Grove Conference that we find any record of strong 
political feeling. Here there began a controversy which 
was not easily ended. Rev. J. H. Page offered the follow- 
ing resolution: 

"Whereas our country is involved in a bloody and 
desolating war: and whereas circumstances clearly 
justify and imperitively demand an unequivocal express- 
ion of the sentiment of this conference in relation 
thereto, therefore, 

"1st., Resolved, That we view the policy adopted by 
the Lincoln government of employing and armed 
force as a means of restoring the union of the states as 
unwise, and as a crime against Chrisianity, civil- 
ization, and humanity, especially when we consider the 

1. Journal, Vo. II, P. 392. 
2. Ibid ., P. 376. 



23. 



cruel and barbarous manner in which this war is being waged 
against us. 

"2nd. Resolved, That we regard the separation of 
the Southern from the Northern States as final, and 
a reunion impossible and we declare it by us undesirable. 

"3rd. Resolved, That we desire and pray for peace 
to be restored to us, yet we hope for it and look for it, 
only in our independence and separate existence as a 
nation, and that we will cordially give our sympathy 
and support to our government in securing these desir- 
able ends, and that we have no sympathy with thqse who 
\TOuld give aid and comfort to our enemies in the prose- 
cution of these wicked purposes." 

The resolution was laid on the table. It was 
later considered on at least three different occasions. 
The preamble and first resolution were adopted, later the 
other resolutions were accepted, and still later 
a reconsideration was taken and a new preamble adopted 
as follows: "Whereas our country is involved in a 
bloody and desolating war, and whereas we deem it just 

and proper that this conference should express its sent- 

2 
lment thereto". ' The Journal does not record the 

debate but tradition has it that it was bitter and that 

leading ministers of the conference were enemies as 

long as they lived. 

In the fall of 1865 the war having ended, Dr. C. F. 

Harris introduced a resolution to expunge from the Journal 

1. Journal, Vol. II, P. 417. 

2. Ibid ., Pp. 418-422. 



24. 



the Fair Grove resolutions. When this failed by 
being laid on the table and never removed he offered 
a bitter protest which is spread, on the minutes with- 
out comment. 

Educational Efforts. 

The early educational efforts of the North Caro- 
lina conference follow three distinct lines, (1) Yad- 
kin College, (2) a female College, (3) denominational ' 
colleges outside the state. These will be considered in 
order. The first suggestion of inteBest in education 
is noticed when in Oct. 1848 a resolution was intro- 
duced that; "Whereas a literary institution is very 
much needed by this conference to afford to parents in 
this and other districts a place to educate their 
children and to afford young men who are candidates 
for the ministry a place of instruction, Be it, there- 
fore reaolved , 1st., That this conference take the 
matter in hand and request each member to endeavor to 
procure subscriptions for the purpose of establishing 
such an institution. Resolved, 2nd., That this insti- 
tution be located in Randolph county at or near Cedar 
Falls factory. Resolved, That a committee be appointed 
by this conference who shall inquire into the expedi- 
ency of this matter and repost to the next conference," 

The resolution was not adopted in toto but a 

, committee was pppointed "to carry out the spirit of the 

3 
resolution." So far as I find this committee 

1. Journal, Vol. II, Pages 482-A.34. 

2. Ibid , Vol I, P. 228 

3. Ibid ., P. 229 



25. 



never reported but three years later J.B. Ellis attended 
the sessions of the conference and proposed that a 
school to be called Pleasant Grove Seminary should be 
erected in Davie county. He represented that land could 
be had and sufficient money to erect and equip "a spacious 
brick house, of two or more stories, one apartment of 
which shall be exclusively devoted to the service of 
Almighty God, with its appropriate furniture, the rest 
of the building with all its fixtures to be devoted to 

education," ^he conference was impressed with this 
proposition and appointed seven trustees. The same ses- 
sion gave its approval to the work of a female academy 
conducted in his home in Halifax county by Rev. J.B. 
Swift, and a male academy at Brinkleville under the 
supervision of Rev. W. H. Wills. 

The next fall at Fayetteville the conference 
went on record as "of opinion that the establishment 
of some seminary of learning located within the county 
of Davidson of Davie is essential to our advancement". 
It appointed a ccm.aittee of seven and instructed them 

to select a location and secure donation of not less 

2 
than ten acres of land. In Nov. 1853 this committee 

reported the location of the school "in Davidson county, 

on the r .ad leading from Lexington to Mocksville, eight 

miles west of exington." It also reported the donation 

of ten acres of land and five hundred dollars toward 

1, Journal, Vol. I. Pp. 318-327^ 

2. Journal, Vol. II. P. 21. 



26. 



building. After sane debate the report of the committee 
was adopted. Somewhat later in the session the name 
Yadkin Institute was fixed and Henry Walsaj John 
Rominger, Alexander Robbins, Thomas C. Crump, D. L. 
Michael, Andrew M, Gamble, John A. Davis, Alson Gray, 
and R. C. Beeson were elected trustees. In Nov. 1854 
the ^resident of the conference and the traveling 
preachers were constituted agents to sloicit donations 

and make collections for Yadkin Institute and it was 

2 
voted to allow all agents 10$ on the amounts collected. 

The next year we find an extensive report from 
Henry Walser of the progress being made. The brick 
have been burned at a cost of five dollars per thousand 
and a contract 1st for a house sixty b y thirty feet and 
two stories high. The brick labor is to cost $450 and the 

wood work is to be done without contract price on con- 
dition that if the price made on its completion 
is not satisfactory the decision as to a fair price" 
is to be left to three good men". Mr. Walser was 
sure of enough students to make the school a success 
but anxious about a man to take charge of it. "A man 
who is in fact a full scholar and one that possesses 
a character as a gentleman and a Christian" is wanted. 

It is reported a few days later that $1800 in gash 

3 

and pl edges have been secured. 



JL. Journal Vol. II. Pp 35 -47. 

2. Ibid ., P;. 69. 

3. Ibid ., Pp. 114-124. 



27. 



In Nov. 3.856 it was reported that the build- 
ing was completed and the school in operation under the 
instruction of Geo. W, Hege. "Mr. Hege is a regular 
graduate, well qualified in all respects." He agreed to 
pay two hundred dollars a year for a period of five 
years for the use of the school and "to advance stu- 
dents as fast as can be done in any other institution 
of the kind in the state". Mr. Hege was not at that 
time a Methodist Protestant but later he joined that 
church and became a minister. In I860 the conference 
was held at Yadkin Institute. It was planned to have 
the school incorporated as a college, and to collect 
money for the payment of the debt now found to be nine 
hundred dollars. Professor Hege was appointed agent 

for this purpose, A committee of three was appointed 

2 
to secure incorporation and eleven trustees were elected. 

The school was, accordingly, chartered as a college, 186l. 

At that time there were eight boarding students besides 

those living in the community. Out of the eight sixty 

entered the confederate army which practically brooke 

3 
up the school. In the Journal of 1862 Yadkin College 

and a school in Halifax county under the management of 
Rev. J. H. Page are mentioned briefly. "They both lan- 
guish under the war". "Nearly ev ery school in the -state 
suffers in the same way and about the same proportion".^- 

1. Journal, Vol. II, Pp. 139-140$ 

2. Ibid ., Pp. 298-321. 

3. Leonard, J.C., Centennial History of Davidson County 

North Carolina, P. 429. 

4. Journal, Vol. II, P. 399. 



28. 



During this period of progress the conference 
seemed especially concerned to establish a "Female 
College". In 1854 a letter was received from Mr. Vim. 
T. Healy concerning the sale of Berlin Female Academy 
located at Kernersville and a committee was appointed 
to confer with him. This committee reported the next 
y ear that the academy, a one story brick building thirty 
feet by twenty, all in one room with fire place in each 
end could be bought for four hundred dollars, which 
they considered a reasonable price. They, however, advi- 
sed against the purchase because of the location. Ker- 
nersville is eleven miles from Salem where we are told 
"there is a female institution of learning under the 
patronage of the Moravian church at a cost of thirty 
thousand dollars, which institution if popular not 
only in North Carolina but throughout all the souther n 
satates and receives patronage from the same". (This is 
Salem College). The report goes on to say that there 
is "also another institution twelve miles east of 
Kernersville under the patronage of the Friends which 
is popular and respectable(Guilford College) and two 
others at Greensboro, eighteen miles east of Kernersville 
one under the patronage of the Methodist Episcopal church 
(Greensboro College) and the other under individual 
enterprise". (Blandwood College, now extinct). 

At this time a committee of five was appointed 
to "inquire into the practibility of establishing a 
famale school, without cost to this conference at High 

1. Journal, Vol II. P. 71. 

2. Ibid., P. 103. 



29. 



Point". One year later this committee reported that 
a lot had been bought four acres in size and plans made 
and bids secured for a building. Also an agent had been 
selected who had secured pledges of some $2700 and a 
small amount of cash. The conference did not, however, 
look upon the location as final. Moriah meeting house 
(four miles from Greensboro) was mentioned and a committee 

composed of Deorge C. ia endenhall and others from 
Jamestown brought an offer of a site and two thousands 
dollars in money if Jamestown should be chowen. This 
Proposition was accepted and the following trustees 
selected, John F. Speight, L. W. Bathchelor, Calvin 
Johnson, George. C. Mendenhall, Johnathan W, Field, Calvin 

H. Wiley, Alexander Robbins, C. F. Harris, John C. Hankin. 
The next day the name "Logan Female Seminary" was chosen 

and Alson Gay, Andrew Gamble, Isaac Thacher, Cyrus 
Wheeler, and Samuel Donnell were added to the board. 
In the meantime a report had been prepared by Mr. Wiley, 
who was the first Superintendent of Public Instruction 

9 

in North Carolina and held that office at the time, 
which is significant. The committee report "that in 
their opinion the conference should be wholly exempt 
from all pecuniary liability in t is enterprise. They 
recommend that the Board of Trustees be empowered to 
build up an institution of the kind contemplated by 
conference, with such means as they can raise and that 
they have no authority to bind the conference in any 
respect for any of the expences of said enterprize."^ 

1 . Journal, Vol. II, P. 104. 

2. Ashe, S. A. History of North Carolina, Vol. II, P. 496. 

3. Journal, Vol. II, Pp; 156-163 



30. 



The session of conference which met Nov. 5> 1857 
found that a deed for the land had been secured and a 
charter -ranted by the legislature. The name had been 
changed to Jamestown Female College and the contract let 
for a building eighty-four by fifty feet and four stories 
high. Some six thousand dollars debt had been 
assumed for which the contractors were to take corpo- 
ration bonds, ^ames P. Speight took tfre place of Calvin 
Johnston on the board and Rev. Alson Gray was appointed 
field agent. 

The session of 1858 was held at Jamestown. There 
was no Methodist "rotestant church there and the meetings 
took place in the Masonic hall. On two occasions pledges 
were taken varying in amounts from fifty cents to four 

hundred dollars, and the various circuits assumed from 

2 
fifty to a hundred dollars each. 

Another year goes by and at Enfield, Nov. 3i859 
Professor Jonn S. Ray the president of the new 
school is introduced to the conference. He made a speech 
as did Geo. C. Mendenhall, President of the Board of 
Tiruste-s who among other things "refuted the charge of 
its not being under the control of the Methodist Pro- 
testant church". Provision was made for the establish- 
ment of a library at the college, and a total of twenty- 

3 
four trustees were elected. 

During the year 1861, the building was burned. 

According to information secured from Mrs. C.W.F. Tilden 

of Jamestown, a daughter of Alexander Robbinsof the 

1. Journal Vol II Pp. 192-203. 

2. Ibid ., Pp. 213-243. 

3. Ibid ., Pp. 259-271. 



31. 



Board of Trustees, at that time all the rooms in the 
building which were intended for dormitory use xvere 
occupied and many young ladies boarded in the village . 
A girl suffering from toothache one night lighted a 
candle to seek medicine and iheft the lighted candle 
near an open window. She fell asleep, a wind sprang up 
and blew the curtain against the candle and the fire 
resulted. The men of the village were away in war and 
the fire was not extinguished. 

In November of that year a detailed report of 
off cial conditions was made to the conference. The total 
indebtedness was $12910. There were supposed assets of 
$7510 leaving $5600 unprovided. Some pledges had been 
made for rebuilding but "it is a debafeeable question 
whether it is proper while the war goes on to attempt 
to rebuild". No such attempt was made and one year later 
enought funds were reported to care for all obligations 
except a bond for $7000 held by Dr. Weatherly. In 1865 
efforts were still being made to find some plan for 
liquidation of this debt. 

The first indication of interest in an insti- 
tution outside the state is found in a resolution passed 

in 1851 recommending Madison College to the patronage 

2 
of our people. This institution was located in Union- 
town, Pennsylvania. It was founded and partly endowed 
by ex-President Madison and had been under the control 
of the Methodist Episcopal church but that denomination 
had found it expedient to abandon it and for a few years 



1. Journal, Vol II, Pp. 332-489. 
2 * Ibid., Vol I, P. 313. 



the Methodist Protestant church undertook its opera- 
tion. Sectional troubles, however, arose and this venture 

proved a failure and a new college was opened at Lyndh- 
burg, Virginia. 

In 1852 a letter was received from Rev. George 
Brown, President of the Board of Trustees of Madison 
College, and strong resolutions were passed in commen- 
dation of its work. A year later a suggestion was ap- 
proved "to subscribe for one perpetual scholarship upon 
which such young men as may be desirous to prepare for 
the ministry of the Methodist Protestant church may be 
sent from time to time by this body". Doctor Brown 
visited Worth Carolina in 1854 and so much interest did 
he arouse that a committee whose business it was to 
report on the matter declared, "We cannot find words to 
express the high estimation in which we hold Madison 
College". Plans were made to canvass the conference for 
funds and the sale of scholarships was encouraged. Then 
came the misfortunes already noted at Uniont°wrn and the 
establishment of Lynchburg College. 

In 1855 we find a communication from the Virginia 
Conference and North Carolina replying with its ever 
ready resolution of help and hope. ':The next year a motion 
was made calling on madison college for the return of 
money paid to it. While no refund was made the conference 
"was not cured of scholarships for in 1859 plans were under way 
to provide two perpetual scholarships and to endow a pro- 
fessorship at Lynchburg. Then came the civil war and 

2 
educational silence. 

1. Drinkhouse, Vol II, Pp. 359-362. 
2. Journal, Vol. II. Pp. 12-316. 



33. 



Development in Membership and Finance in 186 5. 

It is generally conceded that the two matters of 
membership and financial development furnish a good in- 
dex to the growth of a church. It would also seem that 
the two should progress together, therefore the two items 
are here given joint consideration, '■'■'he figures for both 
items are rather scant and somewhat scattered but a few 
will give some idea of progress. In u ctober 1829 the 
salary of the conference President was fixed at two 
hundred dollars a year and traveling expens.es.' His 
expense account was $23.07. and he received during the 
year one hundred and ten dollars. A consider- 
able part of the session of 1830 seems to have been 
consumed 'in an effort to secure the balance though with 
what success we do not know. For the coming year a form 
of every member canvass was adopted in which stewards 
were instructed "to ascertain from the members and heads 
of families the minimum amount they are willing to 
give" . 

The first statement of membership is found 
in 1832 when a total of eight hundred and ten is re- 
ported. There were four traveling preachers in the dis- 
trict and they received in salary the sums of eighty- seven 
seventy, seventy-eight, and ninety-three dollars respec- 
tively. A small surplus 6f unnamed amount which had been 

collected by the conference in the nature of an equali- 

2 
zation fund was ordered divided among than. 



1. Journal, Vol. I. Pp. 13-19. 

2. Ibid ., Pp. 34-37. 



34. 



The ministerial membership of the conference in 
1833 was twenty=seven. The total membership was then 
given at 1415, a gain of 605. Of this number there had 
been a net gain of 513 members on Guilford circuit 
under the pastorate of Rev. Alsn Gray. However his 
salary of $280 lacked just $160 of having been paid. 
The President had received twenty-two dollars and a 
half for his year's work, but two pastors had received 
their salary in full, one hundred dollars each. 

The year 1837 is remembered in American history 
because of one of our worst financial panics. This de- 
pression is clearly reflected in the fact that while 
the membership of the conference now numbered 1858 the 
President received in salary eleven dollars and 

one pastor with 502 members was paid six dollars and a 

2 

quarter. 

By 1845 nine circuits are name d, and 3452 mem- 
bers are reported. The pastor's salaries seem to have 
become standardized at one hundred dollars but only four 
had received that amount in full and a committee on 

finance reported that it almost despaired of making a 

3 
satisfactory report. 

In 1848 the membership reached 3984. Little 
improvement is observed in money matters. A very advan- 
ced step was taken, however, in the creation of a Sup- 

eranuated Fund Society for the purpose of securing a 

4 
fund to aid in the support of retired ministers. This 



1. Journal, Vol. I., Pp. 40-46, 

2. Ibid-, Pp. 89-90. 
3! Ibid . , Pp. 167-182. 
4. Ibid. , Pp. 222-230. 



35. 



society has had a continuous existence and has done 
great good though its funds have never been large. 

In 1850 there were 4657 members. Here for the 
first time there is an estimate of propertjr values 
which was $12,050 . Four charges, however, made no re- 
port on this itemso the estimate is too low. 

We will omit several sessions and turn to the 
meeting of 1856. The membership had now reached 6169. 
The property value, $29,185. The President recom- 
mended here for the first time the erection of parson- 

2 
ages on the various fields. 

With the civil war and the almost worthless 

confederate mo.iney there came large salaries. In 1862 

the conference President received $525 and one pastor 

3 
as much as $550. A year later the President received 

$1045* the highest paid pastor getting $1500, and in 

1864 the ^resident was paid $2600 and the pastor's 

5 
salaries were in proportion. For I865 the President 

L n 

was promised $3200, and received $341. An interesting 
side light on the matter of confederate money is found 
in the fact that a church building had been sold in the 
city of Wilmington some years before the war began but 
the money had not been paid. In 1863 there were indica- 
tions of settlement and the conference expressed its de- 
sire for North Carolina bank notes rather than Confed- 

8 
erate money in payment. 

1. Journal, Vol. I, P. 297. 

2. Ibid ., Vol. II, Pp. 135-162. 

3. ibid ., Page 384. 

4. Ibid . , Page 424 

5. Ibid . , Page 456. 

6. Ibid . , ^ape 460, 

7. Ibid. , Page 489. 

8. ibid . , Page 430. 



During this period of progress the conference 
seemed especially concerned to establish a "Female 
College". In 1854 a letter was received from Mr. Win. 
T. Kealy concerning the sale of Berlin Female Academy- 
located at Kernersville and a committee was appointed 
to confer with him. This committee reported the next 
y ear that the academy, a one story brick building thirty 
feet by twenty, all in one room with fire place in each 
end could be bought for four hundred dollars, wh ch 
they considered a reasonable price. They, however, advi- 
sed against the purchase because of the location. Ker- 
nersville is eleven miles from Salem where we are told 
"there is a. female institution of learning under the 
patronage of the Moravian church at a cost of thirty 
thousand dollars, which institution if popular not 
only in North Carolina but throughout all the souther n 
satates and receives patronage from the same". (This is 
Salem College). The report goes on to say that there 
is "also another institution twelve miles east of 
Kernersville under the patronage of the Friends which 
is popular and respectable(Guilford College) and two 
others at Greensboro, eighteen miles east of Kernersville 
one under the patronage of the Methodist episcopal church 

(Greensboro College) and the other under individual 

2 
enterprise". (Blandwood College, now extinct). 

At this ti-ne a committee of five was appointed 

to "inquire into the practibility of establishing a 

famale school, wit-out cost to this conference at High 

1. Journal, Vol II. P. 71. 

2. Ibid., P. 103. 



37. 



sand subscribers could be secured at five dollars each 
and advertisements amounting to five hundred dollars 
were anticipated. Thus a total of $6947 was in sight. 
The committee made the following estimate of exDense: 



Paper 


$2500. 


Printing 


$3750 


Office rent 


$ 75 


Fuel 


$ 100 


Stati onary 


$ 100 


Salary of Editor 


$2000 


Carrying 


$ 50 


Total 


$8575 



In as much as there was a bill from Rev. J.L. Michaux, 
D.D. for five hundred dollars for services already ren- 
dered there appeared to be a need to secure some $2100 
and gifts to that amount were to be sought by a committee. 
Doctor Michaux was elected editor. 

In the autumn of 1864 the fortunes of the confederacy 
and of its citizens were at a low ebb. It seemed best, there- 
fore to order that a half sheet should be published at the 

price of five dollars for six months and to leave the 

2 
future size and price to the discretion of a committee. 

%. Michaux "served as editor, bookkeeper, and Mailing 

clerk with working hours which sometimes stretched 

from eight A.M. to five A. M, of the next day". He made 

an appeal to the War Department of the Confederacy and 

J.C. Roberts and b.O. Donnell were temporarily released 

1. Journal, Vol II, Fp. 437-438. 

2. Ibid., P. 451. 



*9TS , d <*p Tqi .+{ 

'912 'd 'iTSMPT-eO '£ 

,+ 70C-982 #d J 'III 'I°A 'l^ujinop «g 

'£12 "d 'oaoqsur?aj;r) jo suapxxng P^re saapunoj f, Q sxq.q.ag f IT 9M PI^0 "I 

aqq qs 'qoxqM pauado ssm "[ootp s q£xq s uaqj 'xooqos ou 

sw aaaqq sasaA* xts jo^t • „i!qxuraiittjoo aaxq.ua q.sqq 

ux usui s qou ssm aaaqq ua qM aaqurainaa ju 's^ss { auixq. aqq. 

qs /oq xisuis s ssm oqM uaMQ A'axueq.c pus 'asnoq a§saoq.s 

ooosqoq. s ss pasn ssm 3uxpxxuq sqi 4 Jsm XT a T0 9L n- 

jo asnsoaq pasoxo ssm a§axx°0 UTW 6 ! T-'B X 001 ! 08 s U1 

•aSaXXOO ux^ps x 

• „.ioqax.idojd pus Joqxpa 

sqx jo spaspusqs qSxq aqq qq.XM 'uadsd axqqxx oxqsxtuxq 

-do snoxquaqaudun,, sxqq paonpoad qoonqo aqq jo aapsax 

v £68T - £88I ^psoap s Suxunp qnq qons ss qoanqo aqq 

qqxM uoxqoauuoo ou psq asanoo jo sxqx •ueur^aoft A^xxsg 

aqq paxx B0 oaoqsuaaa£) ur uadsd uoouuaqjs us paqsxxqnd 

osxs aq q.usq.saqo<i r j j-exqusQ aqq. jo uoqxpa ssm xnsqoxpj 

•jjj qoxqM ux poxaad aqq. jo qasd s Suxang 

' £xa.-ejv33J.j.T paasadds pus paq.aod 

-dns A^x-iood ssm qx saurtq qs qnq sasai! uaaqq§xa uoj pan 

-uxquoo qx '.xsaA qxau aqq paasaddfe qusqsaqoaj x' BJ[ T- us 
Z 
aqq pus aoqxpa uasoqo ssm xneqoxjtf aoqoog 'axqxsuodsaj; 

.£sm ou ux aq oq. ssm aouauajuoo aqq qoxqM jo suoxqs§ 

-xxqo iCusxunoad aqq aoj aadsd qounqo s jo quamqsxxqsqsa 

aqq paq.sa§Sns aouaaajuoo aqq jo sqeaaaqux Aasaaqxj aqq 

uo aaqqxuraroo s £^gx UT T- nc l '-ism. XT A T° & W\ J° asoxo aqq 

qnoqs pua us oq auxso aa2uxqj[Sj.j pus usraqoqsH aqj, 

•aadsd 
I 

aqq jo jjsqs aqq uo aoxAaas oq pauSxsss pus suus uioaj 



•8£ 



39. 



request of a patron who believed school should be given 
as long hours as any other work, was run from sun-up 
to sun down. 

In 1872 Rev. Shadrack Simpson was made President 
and the school opened again as a college. The 

same year the deed was recorded and all debts paid or rather 

2 
cancelled by gift of the creditors. During 1881 a new 

building was constructed which was a brick structure 

thrde stories in height with eight rooms, "audience 

chamber and gallery". Mr. Simpson resigned to accept 

a professorship in Western Maryland College and Yadkin 

again became a high school. Several persons had charge 

at various times, the last principal being Rev. W. T. 

Titten who served from 1898 to 1924. State high schools 

having become numerous the Institute closed its doors 

4 
in that year. 

Jamestown Female College. 
Various efforts were made to pay the debt on James- 
town Female College, and some money was raised for that 

5 
purpose. Finally the land on which the old walls yet 

stood was sold and the trustees assumed the remainder 

of the debt. It fell heavily on some of them and a few 

were very bitter about their losses. 

General Condition. 

While the membership of the North Carolina confer- 

ence has never been large the area embraced has been 

1. Leonard, P. 430. 

2. Journal, Vol. III., P. 245- 

3. Ibid., Vol. IV. P. 72. 

4. Leonard, P. 430. 

5. Journal, Vol. III. Pp. 21, 145, 161, 195. 



40. 



for it extends frcm the sea to beyond the mountains, 
in the days when roads were bad and railroads few, there 
seemed good reason to divide the conference and the mat- 
ter was frequently discussed during the forties and 
fifties. Finally a division was effected in 1878. This, 

however, did not prove satisfactory and in 1880 the 

2 
conference was reunited and remains one. 

■'•he session of 1893 reports two hundred and two 

churches with 15810 members and a property value of 

$135>000. Of these churches only three were town or 

city stations. There were a few other churches in small 

towns yet attached to country circuits. The best church 

in the conference was value! at six thousand dollars, 

and there were eleven parsonages, a thousand dollars 

being the highest valuation on any one. One charge paid 

a pastor's salary of nine hundred dollars and four others 

3 
paid five hundred each. The others paid less. 

This session considered and rejected two over- 
tures from the General Conference to amend the consti- 
tution of the church. One would have provided that, "no 
annual conference shall elect a woman as an elder", and 
the other that "no annual conference shall elect a 
woman as a representative to the General Conference". 
There has as yet been no woman ordained in the Worth 
Carolina conference. Several, however, have been in the 
denomination, the most famous being Dr. Anna Howard Shaw. 

1. Journal, Vol. IV, P. 421. 

2. ibid., Pp. 499-502. 

3. Printed Journal for 1893, Pp. 42-43. 

4. Ibid , P. 7, 



41. 



Not until 1927 did North Carolina elect a woman to the 
General Conference. Three of the lay representatives 
chosen in November of that year to attend the General 

Conference of 1928, were women and one of the alternates 

1 
was a womgn. 

The real event of the session of 1893 was the 

comming of Rev. J. F. McCulloch. A native of North Carolina 

he had as a boy gone to Michigan where he graduated at 

Adrian College and then took work at the University of 

Michigan. Later he taught at Adrian and then returned to 

North Carolina with the hope of seeing a college of 

greater size and promise that the old Yadkin established. 

He made two addresses and the result was the appoint- 

o 
ment of a special committee. From thxs beginning 

there developed a church paper and an A- grade college, the 

story of which will be told later. 

Since 1893. 

'■'■'he past thirty-five yea s have witnessed nota- 
ble development in the North Carolina conference. No 
doubt many of the things accomplished have been the 
result of natural develpment but nevertheless the ses- 
sion of 1893 is significant and progress semms to date 
from that event. 

Church Paper. 

While Rev. Mr. McCulloch had the dream of es- 
tablishing a college he knew that this could noT be done 
immediately. Feeling that the best way to develope sen- 

1. Journal of 1927, P. 116. 

2. Journal of 1893, Pp. 19, 22. 



42. 



timent was by means of a church paper he established 
a weekly paper, Our Church Record. The paper was publish- 
ed in Greensboro and was adcepted by the conference as 

1 
its organ. 

Plans were at once laid for the erection of a 
publishing house with the understanding that this 
property might some day be used as a type of endowment 
for the proposed college. A lot was, accordingly, pur- 
chased and an order given that a building should be 

erected, it being suggested that the approximate cost of 

2 
both be five thousand dollars. Gradual progress was 

made both in the collection of funds and in the erection 
of the building. In November 1897 the building committee 
reported that the work was practically completed, the 
cost havinghowever, exceeded the estimate to some ex- 
tent. There was a debt too, which it was hoped could be 

removed by a use of rents from a portion of the build- 

3 
ing. That this hope was not without foundation is 

shown by a report of the secretary and treasurer made 

in 1906. It was in that year that the last payment was 

made on the debt. The total cost of the building had 

been $9,652.86. Of this amount, $5,458.66 had been 

4 
contributed and the remainder paid from the income. 

The paper is yet in existence though its name has 

5 
been changed to the Methodist Protestant Herald . , and 

1. Journal, 1894, p. 26. 

2. Journal, 1895, p. 27. 

3. Journal, 1897, p. 20. 

4. Journal, 1906, p. 23. 

5. Journal, 1910, p. 33. 



43 . 



Doctor ^cCulloch is yet editor, •'•'he publishing house has 
been transferred to the Board of Education and so great- 
ly has real estate appreciated in Greensboro that it is 
now carried on the books of the board at $75,000 and 
rents for $5,400 a year. This income is enjoyed by 
High Point College. Probably the property is really 
worth $100,000. 

Missions. 
The missionary activities of the Methodist 
Protestant church have not been large. In these efforts, 
however, the North Carolina conference has done its 
part. i he first ordained missionary sent to the for- 
eign field was Rev. F. C. Klein who went to Japan in 
1882. ^ive years later the ^orth Carolina conference 
furnished its first missionary in the person of Rev. 
L.L. Albright wb spend a few years in Japan. Still 
later some two years, Rev. A. R. Morgan resigned as head 
of Yadkin College and went to Japan where he served 
successively as Secretary and President of the Jgpan 

annual conference and President of the Anglo-Japanese 

2 
college at Nagoya. 

The executive officer in charge of foreign mis- 
sions for the entire d§ n0 mination was long known as the 
Corresponding Secretary and Treasurer of the Board of 
Foreign Missions. To this office Rev. T. J. Ogburn, D.B. 
of North Carolina was elected in 1896 and for twelve 



1. jjournal of 1927, p. 24. 

2. Drin&house, Vol. I. Pp. 593-597. 



44. 



years he rendered most efficient service. Other mis- 
sionaries from this state have been Rev. J. W. Frank, 

2 
who went to Japan in 1899, Rev. J.C. A urn en, who in 

3 
1921 became President of ^agoya College, and Rev. J.F. 

4 
Minnis who in 1922 went to India. Mr. and Mrs. Minn is are 

the only North Carolinians of the Methodist Protestant 
church now in the foreigh field. 

Young People's Work 
A Board of Young People's Work which had func- 
tioned for some time and held various conventions was 

discontinued in 1966 and in its place a conference 

5 
Young People's Union organized. This body during the 

summer of 1920 secured the services of Miss Jaunita 

6 
Hammer as Field Secretary. She did exceliect work for 

some two years. Then there followed a brief period when 

the Union had no field agent. In February 1923., Rev. 

7 
L. C. Little accepted that position and served for a 

short while. The Board then functioned without a secretary. 

This conference has also made a notable contri- 
bution to the Young People's work of the general church. 

Rev. A*G. Dixon was in 1917 chosen Secretary of the Board 

S 

of Young People's Work of the General Conference and 

served until he became President of the North 

1. Drink house, Vol. I, P. 592. 

2. Journal, 1899, P. 5. 

3. Journal, 1921, P. 48. 

4. Journal 1922, P. 63. 

5. Journal 1916, P. 45. 

6. Journal, 1920, P. 34- 

7. Journal, 1923, P. 64. 

8. Journal, 1917, P. 28. 



45. 



Carolina conference in 1922. During the spring of 1926 

2 
Rev. L. C. Little was selected to fill the same position 

and continues to do so. 

Children's Home. 

The only orphanage supported by the Methodist 
Protestant Church is located at High Point. The story 
of its origin and progress is the account of an adven- 
ture truly remarkable. Certain members of the North 
Carolina Branch of the Women's Home Missionary Society 
of the Methodist Protestant church began this work in 
August 1910 in a small school house at Denton with less 
than fifty dollars in the treasury. Miss Mabel Williams 
was the first superintendent and matron and Miss Etta 
Auman was associate in both offices. The combined sal- 
ary of both for the year 1911 was three hundred and sixty 
dollars. 

Interest increased and in 1912 a farm of thirty- 
eight acres was purchased on the outskirts of High Point. 
A splendid building was erected and the services of Mr. 
and M r s. H. A. Garrett secured as Superintendent and 
matron respectively. Twelve children were brought from 
Denton in June 1913. More laid has been accuired until 
the property now contains one hundred and thirty acres 
and as the city of High Point has grown much recently 
the property is quite valuable. In 1922-23 a Boy's 
Dormitory was erected at a cost of some $4 5* 000. The 
value of the entire plant is now estimated at $225,000. 

1. Journal, 1922, P. 21. 

2. Journal, 1926, P. 35. 

3. Journal, 1911, P. 41. 



46. 



Since its opening the home has cared for one hundred and 
fifty-two children, seventy one of whom are now there. 
The present superintendent is Dr. E. F. Allman. 
Sigh Point College 
By far the most important story of this period has 
to do with the building of High Point College. It has 
already been stated that Rev. J. F. McCulloch had in 
mind the founding of a college when he returned to 
Ncrth Carolina in 1893, and that the establishment of 
a church paper was largely occasioned by a belief that 
it would contribute to that end. He soon got in touch 
with ^r . J.C. Roberts of Kernersville §nd at the confer- 
ence of 1901 a motion was made to ap oint a committee 

"to consider the proposition of a friend to give $10,000 

2 
for a denominational school in North Carolina". This 

committee recommended the appointment of another on 
Ways and Means with the object of meeting "the reason- 
able conditions of the proposed bequest", and the 

3 
appointment was made. 

From that time until the college opened its 
doors in Sept. 1924 is a long journey and one full of 
pit falls. A few incidents may be mentioned. The Com- 
mittee on Ways and ri eans reported a suggestion that 
when$75,000 should be secured, work of erection of 
buildings should begin. It also made other extensive 

1. Projects of the Women's Home Missionary Society of the 

Methodist Protestnat Church, Chapter 2. 

2. Journal, 1901, P. 12. 

3. Journal, 1901, P. 23. 



47. 



recommendations.. Two years later a financial agent 

was put in the field to solicit subscriptions for the 

2 

enterprize. ' Rev. A, G. Dixon was chosen for this work 

and had some degree of success though not enough to 
justify building. 

The problem of location was from the first a 
troubled one. The early promoters had it in mind that 
Greensboro was the proper place and a site had been 
secured but in 1905 the people of High Point made an 
offer of $12,000 if the college should be located in 

their city. An offer was also received from Liberty 

3 
of $6,000 and thirty acres of land. No decision was 

made then or for years to come. 

In August 1909, Mr. J. C. Roberts died leaving 

a bequest of $10,000 en condition that if a college 

should be ready for operation by 1920, this money would 

be available. Otherwise it was to become a permanent 

4 
fund for ministerial education. This proved an incen- 
tive for renewed effort. In 1910 an offer was made to sell 
Oak Ridge Insttute to the church with the view 
of letting it grow into a college. This suggestion was 
reported favorably by a committee and it was only by 

the use of the parliamentary tactics of votingby bal- 

5 
lot and by orders that it was defeated. 

With the exception of the fact that the Board 

6 
of Education was organized under an amended, charter 

1. Journal, 1902, Pp. 18-19. 

2. Journal, 1904, P. 15. 

3. Journal, 1905, P. 20. 
4. Journal, 1909, P. 64. 

5. Journal, 1910, Pp. 11-12. 

6. Journal, 1916, P. 55. 



48. 



there was little done for several years. Scarcely had 
the offer of x ^r. Roberts expired and the ten thousand 
ddlars been lost, however, when &r. J. Norman Wills 

offered to donate $100,000 on condition that $300,000 

1 
be raised otherwise. The citizens of High Point gave 

a site of forty-eight acres and $100,000 and the college was 

2 

located there and building begun. Doctor R. M. Andrews 

who served as President of the conference 1917,1922, 
took an active part in the campaign for funds and during 

1923 served as field agent. He was chosen President in 

1924 and the college opened in September of that year 

with three excellent buildings, a plant valued at half 

3 
a million, and one hundred twenty two students. Since 

then a steady growth has been in evidence. The year 
just closed has been a good one, there having been en- 
enrolled three hundred and forty-four students of whom 

forty-five graduated May 23. The North Carolina Depart- 

4 
ment of Education has granted the college "A" rating. 

Bethel Home. 
A sketch of the Bethel Home recently prepared bvyRev. 
J. E. Pritchard is here quoted, "Several years ago Rev. 
Homer Casto came to North Carolina from West Virginia 
in search of health, being afflicted with what is gen- 
erally thought to be an incurable disease. After spend- 
ing some time in sanitoriums in the Carolinas and finding 

conditions in such institutions far from ideal for 

1. Journal, 1921, P. 38. 

2. Journal, 1922, P. 56. 

3. Journal, 1924, P. 70. 

4. Catalogue, 1§28. 



49. 



Christian young men, he decided to establish a home for 
tubercular young men where they could go at a minimum 
cost and at the same time have Christian surroundings. 
Finally he purchased a house and lot on the side of 
Hamburg mountain near the twwn of Weaverville in Buncombe 
County, North Carolina. For some years Mr. Casto 
ran the home with his own money and such money 
as was sent to hiA by friends who had heard about the home. 
In about 1920 Mr. Casto made a proposition to the worth 
Carolina branch of the Women's Home Missionary Society 
whereby they would assist in enlarging the home and 
raising finances for its support with the understanding 
that some day the management would be entirely with 
the North Carolina Branch. This proposition was accepted 
and since then the women have raised a considerable sum 
each year for the home and the institution has been en- 
larged from time to time. Sick people go there and in so 
far as possible wait on themselves and live as one teig 
family, each contributing his share of the expense. 
In some cases it is necessary to have nursing and other 
services, which services are provided if possible." 

General Progress. 
The years since 1393 have been ones of very gen- 
eral progress. Among accomplishments which should be 
mentioned are the purchase of a parsonage for the Pres- 
ident of the conference located in the city of Greens- 

2 
boro, and the organization of a Pastor's Summer Con- 

3 

ference which meets annually. This formerly met at the 

1. Journal, 1927, P. 122. 

2. Journal, 1918, P. 31. 

3. Journal, 1913, P. 32. 



' 



50. 



Children Home but now is held at High Point College 
jointly with the Young Peoples Convention. 

In marked contrast to the statistics given for 
1893 there are now two hundred thirty four churches 
with 27,624 members and a property value of $1,571,000. 
One church building is valued at $250,000 and two others 
each cost more than the entire valuation of the two 
hundred and two churches listed in 1893- There are sixty- 
four parsonages with a total value of $222,800. Whereas 
only one charge in 1893 paid its pastor as much as nine- 
hundred dollars in 1927 seventy out of the ninety-three 
in the conference paid that or more. 

The greatest progress no doubt has taken 
place within the past ten years. In a report to the 
Exe autive Committee of the denomination in Washington, 
D. C. May 1927, Rev. A. G. Dixon, D, D. at that time Pres- 
ident of the conference gave the following figures: 

1916 
Number charges 61 

Number Members 22,427 

Paid Pastors $34,951 

Average Salary $582 
Raised all Purposes $97,698 
Value all property$471,150 $2,607,600 $2,136,450. 



.926 


Increase 


92 


31. 


27,905 


5,498. 


$103,954 


$69,003. 


$1304 


$760 


#365,833 


$268,235 



1. Journal, 1927, Statistical tables. 



Bibliography 
Manuscript Journal of the North Carolina Conference 
Methodist p rotestant Church 1828-1892, 5,Vols. 
Printed Journal of the Same, 1893-1927, Copy for each year. 
Projects of the Women's Home Missionary Society Metho- 
dist Protestant Church 
Ashe, S. A., History of North Carolina, 2 Volumes. 
Bassett, A. H., History of the Methodist Protestant Church (1882) 
Brown, Geo., Recollection of itinerant Life. (1863). 
°aldwell, Bettie D., founders and Builders of Greensboro. 
Davis, Lyman E., Democratic Methodism in America. 
Drinkhouse, L.J., History of Methodist Reform and Meth- 
odist ^rotesteait Church. 2Volumes 
Paris, John, History of the Methodist Protestant Church. 

(1849) 
Small, C. H., Corner Stones of Faith. 



METHODIST CENTE BY1683N864K36m 
The Methodist Protestant Church in North 




3 1144 00019947 



METHODIST 
CENTER 

BY1683 



53947 



| N864 


Kennett, p. g 


K36m 


The Method* «* d__ . 


METHODIST 5394*? 


CENTER 




BY1683 


Kennett, P. S. 


N864 


The Methodist Protestant 


K36m 


Church in North Carolina. 







mt 



DREW UNIVERSITY LIBRARY 
MADISON, NEW JERSEY 07940